Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Once upon a bearded reporter

Today was a regular day. I saw clients. Spent two hours in traffic.  Did some yoga. Made a quadruple batch of cinnamon rolls, brownies and dinner rolls. I think that baking gets an uneven proportion of my life. And although I am gluten intolerant and have not eaten my desserts in two years - I absolutely love it. Something about baking is therapeutic. Taking raw ingredients and creating something - its just so satisfying.


Somewhere mixed into all that "regularness" was a moment or two that if I didn't stop and recognize...they'd be lost.

One moment was at the doctors office. There was this reporter there taking pictures for a upcoming article about my doctor. And he came into the examining room with us. My doctor was asking me all these personal questions about my body and my period and topics one doesn't usually discuss in front of a bearded reporter and I was uncomfortable. At first I tried to be evasive and answered with "its good. " "things are better" And then my doctor said. "Well can you be more specific. " And I looked at him and said, "Not with that stranger in my room. I don't want to discuss this in front of him."
And the poor reporter turned red and I think he was out of that room in 1.3 steps. (My guess - he was uncomfortable to. Who wants to hear all about some woman's cycle???)

Later in my appointment my doctor said. "That was pretty strong of you. To know you were uncomfortable and then take care of yourself."

And I realized it was. Old Andrea, as I like to call her, wouldn't have known she had a choice. I would have discussed my private medical information in front of a complete stranger and been mortified and so incredibly uncomfortable all the while believing that I couldn't ask him to leave because
1. Thats rude
2. I might hurt his feelings
3. I might upset the doctor
4. I'm just a regular person and this doctor is in charge.

Sheesh. Girl, you've come a long way. Anyway, bearded fella left the room and Andrea got a good report card on listening to my heart and acting on it...even if you ruffle some feather along the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment