Saturday, January 4, 2014

2013 Books in Review

2013 Book Review

I used to review books separately and in detail. And I really loved looking back at what I read. So I want to keep writing about what I have read. But it would take me a long time to review everything I have read. So...I'm thinking a big list will have to do. And I am going to challenge myself for mini yet through reviews. Lets see how this goes.

1 = Stinky Stinky Rotten Tomatoes
10 = Darn Near Perfect

  1. The Hiding Place -Non-Fiction. Score: 10 In my top three favorite books of all time. I find myself quoting her to my clients, kids and self almost daily. 
  2. The Rules of Inheritance -Non-Fiction/ memoir. Score: 9 Beautiful and incredibly honest. I relate in so many ways. And at one point I found myself sobbing as I listened - it made its way in. 
  3. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and How to Listen So Kids will Talk Non-Fiction/Self Help - Score: 9. One of my favorite parenting books. Love this and use the magic wand trick taught in this book almost daily. 
  4. Beautiful Ruins - Fiction. Score: 4. There is a good love story in here. And some really captivating elements - but they were burried so far beneath a lot of filth I just couldn't get to them. 
  5. The Gifts of Imperfection - Non-Fiction/Self Help - Score: 8
  6. The Fault in Our Stars -Fiction. Score: 9. Loved this and had a few moments of the ugly cry.
  7. A New Earth - Non-Fiction/Self Help. Score: ??  I listened to this and maybe its meant to be read because I found myself getting very lost. His voice was so monotonous and I almost dozed off. 
  8. The Gift of Therapy - Non-Fiction. Score: 9
  9. Me Before You - Fiction. Score: 9 - I wrote a review about this a few weeks ago. Loved it and totally recommend. 
  10. Blackmoore - Fiction. Score: 9 -  Sweet love story. Very Austin-esque. 
  11. Jane Eyre -Fiction. Score: 10 - In my top three favorite books. Love Love Love Jane!
  12. The Silver Linings Playbook - Fiction - Score: 7.8 - I liked it. I laughed out loud. 
  13. Orphan Train - Fiction.. Score: 8.5 -  Great story and one that I could relate to on many levels. 
  14. Women, Food and God Non-Fiction/Self Help. Score: 9. 
  15. Intuitive Eating Non-Fiction/Self Help. Score: 8. 
  16. The God Who Weeps Non-Fiction -Score: 10. Incredible. Loved this book and i'm reading it through again. 
  17. Spilled Milk Non-Fiction/Memoir Score: 7. Writing was immature and inexperienced. But the story held my interest. 
  18. Proof Of Heaven Non-Fiction. Score: 8 Neurosurgeon tells of his near death experience.  Read the entire book on a plane ride and couldn't put it down. Definitely written by a analytical doctor. Don't expect flowery language and lots of mushy feelings stuff. 
  19. The Rent Collector Fiction. Score: 9 Loved this book. A hearty dose of perspective and gratitude will follow reading this. 
  20. Believing Christ  Non-Fiction/Religious Self Help. Score: 9
  21. Divergent Fiction - This review will go for all three books. Score: 7.8 - I couldn't quite give it an 8. I really liked it. And I read all three books in record time. But it felt thin in parts and some of the themes and storylines a bit overused in YA fantasy. Okay, that made me sound like I'm trying to be some pretentious book critic. I just felt sometimes as if I was reading something I had already read before with different character names. Overall, it was great and I recommend it. Just not the best YA fantasy I've ever read. 
  22. Insurgent (See Divergent)
  23. Allegiant (See Divergent)
  24. The Winter Sea - Fiction. Score: 9. Awesome historical fiction with a really good love story. 
  25. Loving What Is Non-Fiction/Self Help. Score: 9.  Not everyone will get this book. But I loved it and I still ask myself almost a year after reading this "Is it True." which to me makes this one of my top books of the year. 
  26. The Shadow of the Wind FictionScore: 8 Epic and suspenseful and feels a lot like Kate Morton's books or "Thirteenth Tale." Dark and twisted at times but one I couldn't put down. 
  27. Wheat Belly Non-Fiction Score: 8 Has been life changing for me. 
  28. Edenbrooke Fiction. Score: 9 If you love Pride and Prejudice then you will love this. Its a really sweet book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment